Disclaimer

These thoughts are mine alone and do not represent any views of the Peace Corps.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Ukraine is known for making traditional Easter Eggs, called pisanky. Back at home, a family friend John makes traditional eggs and has a really large collection of them. The tradition of making pisanky somewhat died out during communism but has been making a comeback. Today, there was even a bunch of eggs on display that students made in the school's entry hall. 

I had the opportunity to make some pisanky during training. I only made a couple of them, but I really enjoyed it. And I think I might have a knack for making them too. 

The process of making pisanky is quite long. First you must poke a hole at the bottom of the egg to drain it. After letting it sit for a day or two, you can then decorate it. The first step in the decorating process is drawing designs on the egg with a tool that is shaped like a pen, but it has a needle on the end rather than a pen tip. You must drag the well that is on top of the pen across a a bunch of wax to fill the well. Next you melt the wax,by holding the pen-like tool over a candle. Then you use the tool with the melted wax to draw on the egg with.

This is a picture of me drawing on the egg with the pen-like tool. To th left is my friend Monica.

This is what an egg looks like with the wax drawn on it.  



After you finishing drawing your design, you then place the egg in dye(s).

This is the first egg I made.

 And this is the second, it was a lot better than the first and I gave it to my host family.   
 
         





























No comments:

Post a Comment